07 September 2009

It's Official

The Pirates have clinched their 17th consecutive losing season. This is noteworthy, and not simply because this blog is somewhat Pittsburgh-centric. Their string of futility is now etched in the record books.

So, my optimism at the future of the Pirates isn't only based on me being a glass-half-full guy. During no point in the past decade was I under any illusion that the Pirates were headed in the right direction. That is until now.

During the past two seasons they've drafted well and have traded aging, expensive talent for good prospects. While I believe 2010 will be another record setting year with their 18th consecutive losing season, I think that streak will break in 2011 with a team right around .500. I'll go on the record predicting an 82 win season in 2011. Maybe that is the glass-half-full part speaking. Who knows.

Josh, Chad. Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment