11 July 2009

Greatest all-time linebackers

I should be writing my dissertation, so naturally I am thinking about the greatest linebackers ever.

In my view the top 4 are, in roughly this order:

1. Lawrence Taylor
2. Dick Butkus
3. Jack Lambert
4. Ray Lewis

After that, I think Ray Nitschke, Mike Singletary and Sam Huff have to be in the top ten. After that, I am not sure who belongs to round out the top ten. Junior Seau? Jack Ham? Ted Hendricks? Any suggestions? Any disputes about the top 4? What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. 5. chuck bednarik (last of the 60 minute men.)
    6. ted hendricks (10 time all pro.)
    7. derrick thomas.
    8. jack ham.
    9. junior seau.
    10. greg lloyd?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait, I was going AFTER nitchke, singletary, and huff...
    so make my list more like 8-13.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so chris, you agree with my top 7?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick says, how about Chuck Bednarik (from the Eagles, of course!)?
    10 time all pro and 1950's All Decade Team...

    A. Arlene

    P.S. Matt signed in with his blog cause I can't figure out how to post any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah i might move singletary to #3 but my list would be very similiar.

    did you ever see chuck bednarik's hands? scary what football did to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen his hands - it's crazy. Of course he deserves consideration just for the hit on Frank Gifford. Listen to Pat Summerall talk about it sometime. The players saw a stretcher with a sheet over it in the locker room and thought Bednarik had killed Gifford. Anyone who can lay a hit that other players jump to the conclusion that it killed the opponent is a terrifying linebacker.

    ReplyDelete