29 July 2009

Trading Deadline Special: AL East

One of the problems with having a limited amount of contributors (and an even more limited amount who actually post—I’m pointing at myself here) is the problem you run into of sharing fan bases. I can think of a few of our beloved staffers who bleed Black and Gold. I seem to share a good deal of teams in common with the Gentleman from South Dakota. Such is the case here and while I am much more knowledgeable in all things AL Central, in the attempt at fair coverage (although this division gets more press than Lindsay Lohan…wait where has she gone?) I will pontificate on the trade issues affecting the AL East.

I once had a love affair with New York Yankees. It was torrid. It was illicit. It seemed bandwagon-influenced, but rest assured it was geographically based, and thus legit to enter and leave that relationship. Repeat I am not a Bandwagon Jumper. If you have doubts, please read rules 18-20 of Bill Simmons’ rules on fan loyalty. Anyway, I have not followed this division much lately, so I figured what better way to inform myself of its state in general than taking in an interdivisional game? Here’s what I learned about trades in the AL East and other things from watching the ESPN telecast of the Yankees vs. Rays:

--The Roy Halladay front is all quiet. Personally, I think the Phillies-Indians trade made both teams better and the Phillies were wise to go after Lee rather than give up too much to get Halladay. Really, you have to think the Fightin’ Phils have the best shot to win the NL again…getting away from the AL East…dangit!

--I miss Matt Garza. Wait Derek Jeter just tripled to open the game…I don’t care…Garza’s stuff is electric and Delmon Young is now riding the pine in Minnesota full time behind Carlos Gomez and his sub-.650 OPS…AL EAST, AL EAST…c’mon Aaron, you can do it!

--By the way, allow me to throw in a plug for Jim Beam sourmash bourbon-style whiskey. A good sipping whiskey is to baseball what Jenny is to Forrest…may be a stretch, but I’m enjoying myself.

--Jason Bartlett is hitting .332 (3rd in AL) and he’s hitting 9th? Is the Rays’ lineup really that good?

--Steve Berthiaume intrudes with a Breaking Trade Update…Freddy Sanchez is going to the Giants for some minor league prospects…once again, I’m caring none for the AL East right now and only cursing Twins GM Bill Smith and pouring another glass of J.B. How can we do nothing again? Even as Morneau, Nathan, and even Mauer (very soft-spoken) are pitching fits to Star Tribune reporters daily. How are we going to re-sign Mauer after next season when management shows no commitment to be anything but an 88-win team every year? Actually, there are lots of retorts to this, which could jumpstart many a lively discussion. There have been many teams who’ve screwed themselves for years going after that “one extra piece.” Should Nathan and the M and M boys be questioning their middle infield instead? Perhaps their own crew of starting pitchers who were shaping up to be a very good young group last year, but who have been middling at best this year? Perhaps their over-hyped aging adolescent manager? Is blaming the front office at the trade deadline really the wisest take as a fan? I don’t know, but it is fun…

--Steve B. cuts to the A’s-Red Sox only to see Brad Penny get rocked for 5 runs in his first 37 pitches. With an unhappy Matsusaka (stressed out because of an off-day throwing schedule? Please…) and an injured bullpen, it will be interesting to see if Boston does anything to bolster their pitching in the next couple of days. Penny was on the block as recently as last week (prime candidate for a trade being that he only signed a one-year deal in the off-season) but I can’t find anything that suggests anything is brewing tonight…although really, if you need pitching are you really going to get rid of Brad Penny when you seem primed for another post-season run? I think not.

--Jeter just put down a beautiful bunt single for his second hit of the night…he’s hitting .325 with 11 HR this year (.855 OPS)…Nice production out of my shortstop, especially for one in his 14th season (I know he’s a below average defender). Speaking of needs for the Yankees…I know they are perpetual buyers, but I don’t see them making a trade for another bat at least…they have the best 1-9 in the game…and with the Phils (Koke and Hughes...sounds like a law firm) coming on strong in the bullpen with Rivera, and with 4 strong starters (Joba, Andy Pettitte, Burnett, and Sabathia) it’s hard to believe they’ll make a big trade…maybe one more bullpen arm if anything.

--Steve Phillips is talking like the Red Sox or Yankees are still trying to put together a package for Halladay, but I can’t believe the Jays would trade him within the division…I’m saying the Sox have more of a chance of doing this if it were to happen, but look for him to go out West if he’s going to go anywhere…Phillips is stressing right now that the AL East is a two-team race between the Yanks and Sox…he doesn’t think the Rays can hang in…they’re under-performing this year, but is a line-up that features B.J Upton, Carl Crawford, Evan Longoria, and Carlos Pena out of it just yet?...Yeah, just checked the standings and they’re 6.5 back…thought they were closer than that…with Boston, Seattle, and Texas all in good shape for a potential wild card, it will be hard for TB to overcome…it looks as though they’re more than one piece away at this point. Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal are reporting as of tonight that the Rays may be a “long shot” to try and get Halladay. But they are also mulling getting some more bullpen help, just after they considered moving relievers yesterday…once again doesn’t seem like they are just one piece away.

--As I am writing this, I see that Yanks’ Brian Cashman has in fact gone after some pitching, but in the manner I expected…taking a flier on Jason Hirsh from the Colorado Rockies and re-assigning him to AAA Scranton-Wilkes-Barre. Don’t know what Cashman sees in Hirsh as he’s 6-7 with an ERA of 6.66 this year pitching for the AAA Colorado Springs. They only gave up a player to be named later, and upon further research, it looks like they’re only doing this for depth in the organization to protect against injury down the stretch.

--The Orioles suck and have sucked for a long time. I don’t feel like wasting time researching their needs, which are many. Besides, I’m teaching the second installment of my Faith and Film class at church next Friday and I need to prep for it. Peace out baseball lovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment