08 June 2009

My Dirty Little Secret

I like hockey. I always have. It's a faster version of soccer with a little less organization, but still an incredibly skilled sport. We've all tried to skate in a circle around a rink before, while holding someone's hand for balance even (or maybe in a lame attempt to try to score with a significant other) and it's hard. Now speed that up, slap a stick in your hand, add people trying to knock you down, while chasing down a small hard disc, and you have hockey. The speed, the stamina, the skill, the center of gravity, and the endurance are all so impressive.

My love of hockey was simple early. The Pittsburgh Penguins were good, and so I liked hockey. And then it matured, I enjoyed watching hockey, specifically playoff hockey. Then the New Jersey Devils ruined the sport by winning the 1995 Stanley Cup. It ruined the sport. I still loved it, but it became a grind, a game of traps, shut outs, low scores, and just boring. This is part of the reason I hate the Devils still to this day. Not only is their mascot pure evil (which if you google image search The Devil you come up with surprisingly few good image hits), but they set the sport back about ten years. I tried to follow hockey through college, but just didn't have it in me.

But after the lockout, several smart rule changes, and the influx of really good young talent the sport is back. And the Stanley Cup Finals, and the playoffs in general, have been fantastic. So without further ado, I'd like to present a list of ten great, or not so great, things about this years Stanley Cup Finals.

10.) The Enterprise Mom Commercial - I thought this one died years ago, but unfortunately some suit at Enterprise saw fit to bring it back. Just dreadful. Moooooooom.

9.) Playoff Beards - I bet you could hide at least twenty-four Swedish Fish in there, which are delicious by the way, and still have room for a few more. Playoff Beards are great because it's the tangible evidence of just how long these playoffs truly are. If you advance to the finals you have been playing almost every other night for about two months straight. Very impressive.

8.) Versus and NBC - First the good. I love that these two networks can just share the same coverage teams. It's nice that although on two networks you get continuity between opinions, announcing, and a familiar feel.

7.) Versus and NBC - They both really stink. So I also have continuity in perpetual suckitude. How hard is it to cue up a replay? I can do it, without thousands of dollars of technology at my finger tips, with a stupid tivo unit. Give me some replays. Also don't be swayed by the latest momentum shift or blow of the whistle. Have an opinion and hold to it a little bit. Are the Red Wings tired or veteran? Pick one. It's pretty simple really. The Penguins played better in games three and four and won. The Red Wings played better in game 5 and won. So have an opinion and don't be afraid to stick with it.

6.) The matchup - This one has been overplayed by now, but Detroit - Pittsburgh was what everyone wanted all year. Both teams, and stars, delivered. Not like some other team in some other sport that shall remain nameless ...

5.) Refereeing- Very hands off until Game 5. I don't blame the Refs for that one. Somehow the Penguins decided to go off the deep end. But if you have the two least penalized teams in the game playing each other, let them play. Don't feel you have to make calls since you're standing on the ice. Great refereeing.

4.) Bill McCreary's Mustache - If you're going to mention good officiating you need to mention the top dogs great 'stache. Just imagine being upset that one of your players is going to the sin bin, and then they zoom in to show Bill McCreary with the penalty call, and you see that 'stache. It's hard to stay angry.

3.) The quality of the play - It's been a well played series. As I see it you have a very talented and deep Detroit team going against a top heavy and young Penguins team. I said before the series started that if they played this series 10 times, the Red Wings would win 7 of them. The Penguins have a chance but it just requires perfect play. The Red Wings have all around better talent. The Penguins had those chances to steal game one or two. They played really well, but just didn't quite seal the deal on the offensive end. Now their backs are against the wall, and unless they can get some better forechecking going, they're going to be done in six, or seven. You can't let Detroit move freely from the defensive zone to the offensive zone. They're too big and fast. Freaks of nature really. I wonder how the Swiss National team isn't better when I watch the Red Wings play.

2.) Did I mention the Enterprise commercial that runs approximately 5 times a game?

1.) Superstitions - I love the superstitious nature of hockey. Whether it's beards, or unwashed socks, or fans that do things just because they have before and it's tradition. It's a lot like baseball in those regards. When you play these long series things are bound to creep up. From octopus on the ice to goalies touching the pipes during stoppage of play to not touching the Prince of Wales trophy. The list goes on. Perhaps it's why during every game I eat two of these ... What? It worked in games three and four! I have to keep trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment